Saturday 7 February 2015

All The Bright Places- Recommendation

Hey! So it's that time again- time for a recommendation.

Since my reviews often have spoilers and I don't nearly buy enough books to do a bookhaul every second week, I am reintroducing my recommendations. For those who are new to My Words Are Arrows, recommendations are where I discuss a book with NO SPOILERS and say my feelings on it (which are mostly positive).

So this week I'm going to recommend All The Bright Places, by Jennifer Niven.

Here's the goodreads synopsis- 
Theodore Finch is fascinated by death, and he constantly thinks of ways he might kill himself. But each time, something good, no matter how small, stops him.

Violet Markey lives for the future, counting the days until graduation, when she can escape her Indiana town and her aching grief in the wake of her sister’s recent death.

When Finch and Violet meet on the ledge of the bell tower at school, it’s unclear who saves whom. And when they pair up on a project to discover the “natural wonders” of their state, both Finch and Violet make more important discoveries: It’s only with Violet that Finch can be himself—a weird, funny, live-out-loud guy who’s not such a freak after all. And it’s only with Finch that Violet can forget to count away the days and start living them. But as Violet’s world grows, Finch’s begins to shrink.
It also says that this is like John Green's writing. It's not. It's so, so, so much better. Where John Green seems to use the same storylines over and over and the characters are basic and used purely as accessory to their love interest, Jennifer Niven's characters are well developed in their own right, and they're all brilliantly unique.

This book is heart-wrenching and beautiful and perfect. It's beautifully crafted and spectacularly written. It's a contemporary with almost four hundred words but they fly by, and you get sucked into this world with these wonderful characters.

It does have some pretty heavy themes of suicide and mental illness, so if you're not so good with that sort of stuff, I would caution you before you read this.

All in all, All The Bright Places is incredible. I really, really enjoyed it, and I would definitely recommend. A solid five-stars.

(Also I would recommend getting the hardback. I don't normally buy two copies of books, but I simply could not resist the hardcover version. It's beautiful.)

Share your thoughts (with no spoilers) in the comments below, or shoot me a tweet at @lilypherondale or a tumblr ask to my tumblr, sherlockcrumpets. You can also like my facebook page here to see what I'm reading and see my posts in your feed! If you want to chat about anything, like ARCs and other business things, or just to say hi, hit up my email address at mywordsarearrows@gmail.com :)

I also have a brand-new header with my logo! That's right, I finally have my own logo. Let me know what you think about the new logo and header!

See you next week with another post!

Lily xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment